Watermelon is closely related to cucumber family. It is low in sugar, half the sugar of an apple, and has high water content, thus it is excellent to stay hydrated during the summer month. The seeds can be toasted and enjoyed like pumpkin seeds. Watermelon is high in Vitamin C, A and potassium. It is an excellent cooling food.
This recipe can be adapted to any seasonal fresh veggies. It is a nice and cooling soup filled with great antioxidants.
- 1 medium seedless watermelon
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small kohlrabi, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 4 sweet mini peppers, diced (red, orange, yellow)
- 4 small tomatoes (yellow and orange), diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped lemon balm
- 1 Tbsp. spicy basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice & zest of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh mint
- 1 tsp. Celtic salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Avocado, small diced for garnish
- 1/2 cup Maryland crab meat (optional)
Cut 1 small, seedless watermelon into chunks then purée in a Vitamix.
In a bowl combine watermelon purée with all the chopped and minced ingredients.
Let sit in the fridge for about an hour then check and adjust flavor. Add one diced avocado and crab meat and serve chilled.