Frequently Asked Questions | MUIH
Left Arrow
Right Arrow
Home / Admissions / Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid FAQs

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can apply for financial aid online by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year. Many scholarships also require it.

Note:  MUIH school code is G25784. 

How soon can I apply for financial aid?

A new FAFSA becomes available on October 1st of each year.  You can complete the FAFSA during the school year; however, we do recommend applying as early as possible.

Which FAFSA should I complete?

If you are applying for financial aid and you are considering starting school in (Fall 2017, Spring 2018 or Summer 2018), you should file a 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Complete 2017-2018 FAFSA

Attending: Fall17, Spring18, and Summer18

Attending: Spring18 and Summer18

Attending: Summer18

If you are applying for financial aid and you are considering starting school in (Fall 2018, Spring 2019 or Summer 2019), you should file a 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Complete 2018-2019 FAFSA

Attending: Fall18, Spring19, and Summer19

Attending: Spring19, and Summer19

Attending: Summer19

How many credits do I need to take to receive financial aid?

In order to receive financial aid, you must be enrolled at least half time (3 credits) each trimester. IMPORTANT:  Most grants and scholarships at MUIH require the student to be enrolled full time (6 credit hours or more) or as designated by the program plan of study.

What kind of financial aid may I be eligible for as a graduate student?

As a graduate student, you may be eligible for Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans. The annual loan limit for the Unsubsidized Direct Loans is $20,500 and the lifetime aggregate loan limit is $138,500.00.  If you need additional aid, you can apply for a Graduate Plus Loan at This is a credit-based federal loan. Additionally, you may be eligible for scholarships, fellowships, grants and state aid.  

If you are a Maryland resident and have completed the FAFSA before March 1st, you may be eligible for a senatorial and delegate scholarship apply at

Where can I find my aggregate loan limit?

There are limits on the amount of Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized loans that you may be eligible to receive each academic year (annual loan limits) and the total amounts that you  may borrow for graduate study (aggregate loan limits).  To find you aggregate loan limit, visit You may need your FSA ID to log in.

What types of scholarship can I apply for at MUIH?

Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) offers scholarships and grants to both in state and out-of-state students.  Students who are interested in applying for one or more scholarships and/or grants must submit an online application.  Each scholarship or grant is awarded based on the following list including, but not limited to:

  • Specific Program
  • Need Based
  • Diversity

To qualify for the scholarships and or grants, students must first be admitted to MUIH. To apply for scholarships visit

What is the interest rate for Direct Unsubsidized Loans?

The interest rate varies depending on the loan type and date of the loan. To review the interest rates, visit

What are other funding options without using Financial Aid?

Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) offers multiple funding options. 

Tuition Payment Plan                              Finance Office, Brian Donelan

Employer Tuition Reimbursements             Finance Office, Brian Donelan

VA Benefits                                  Registrar Office, Christina Berke  

What is “Cost of Attendance”?

Per federal regulations, every student is assigned a cost of attendance, also known as a budget.  Student can think of the cost of attendance as the upper limit of the maximum amount of financial aid (including grants, scholarships, federal, and private loans) that they may receive for the year.   The cost of attendance includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, transportation, living expense and personal expenses. 

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from school or take less than half time?

We understand there may sometimes be a need to withdraw either from one class or from the University.  We strongly encourage you to read our withdrawal policy before you withdraw or meet with student academic advisor, and financial aid counselor to make sure they are informed before making any decisions that could impact their financial aid.

How do I repay my loans?

Repayment on most federal student loans begins 6 months after you leave college or drop below half-time enrollment. To reduce the overall amount that you will pay on your loans, we encourage you to make monthly interest payments on your loans before your repayment begins.

All federal student loans have a loan servicer that handles billing and other services. You can find your federal loan servicer information by visiting Once you have identified your servicer, visit their website to make a loan payment. For private loans, contact your lender for details about repayment. For information on federal loan repayment and repayment plans, visit

When are funds disbursed?

Typically, your financial aid will begin to release no sooner than 10 days before classes begin. Subsequent disbursements are made weekly. This assumes you completed all the requirements: (FAFSA on file and no further verification is needed; you are enrolled at least half time (3 credits), the award letter is signed dated and send to the financial aid office, Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling are completed) 

When can I expect to receive my refund check?

Per Federal Guidelines, MUIH is required to release any excess funds (that you choose to accept) within 14 calendar days from disbursement.

2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act FAQ for MUIH Students

During the recent congressional debates about tax reform, there were a number of proposals discussed related to higher education. While there was much discussion around these proposals, none of the proposed changes impacting students’ tuition were adopted.

Please take a moment to review the following FAQ’s. Although the law is complex, we would like to clarify and reassure our students of the facts associated with the law as applicable to being a student at MUIH.  

Can I still deduct student loan interest on my taxes?
Yes. The student loan interest deduction remains the same. Students are still allowed to claim a deduction of up to $2,500 for the interest paid on student loans each year. (Wiener-Bronner, 2017)

What is a Tuition Waiver for Graduate students?
Tuition waivers are discounts on tuition for graduate students who work for the University. These waivers are generally available for research and teaching assistantships. (Mulhere, 2017)

Is the Tuition Waiver still in place for Graduate students?
Yes. Graduate students are not required to pay income tax on tuition waivers. (Wiener-Bronner, 2017)

What is a 529 college savings plan?
A plan operated by a state or educational institution, with tax advantages and potentially other incentives to make it easier to save for college and other post-secondary training for a designated beneficiary, such as a child or grandchild. (Service, 2018)

Are distributions from a 529 college savings plan exempt from federal taxes?
Yes. The designated beneficiary generally doesn't have to include in income any earnings distributed from a QTP (529 plan) if the total distribution is less than or equal to adjusted qualified education expenses. (Treasury, 2018)


Mulhere, K. (2017, December 15). Retrieved from

Service, D. o. (2018, January 10). 529 Plans: Questions and Answers. Retrieved from

Treasury, D. o. (2018, January 10). Publication 970. Retrieved from

Wiener-Bronner, D. (2017, December 25). Your tax questions, answered. Retrieved from