This program is not currently enrolling. For more information about the curriculum, please seet the archives of the Academic Catalog.
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Herbalism program provides licensed or certified healthcare professionals, pharmacists, and researchers with a foundational knowledge of herbal medicine. Students learn about the most popular herbs and herbal supplements in the U.S. market and likely interactions with conventional pharmaceuticals. The online courses allow participants from across the nation and across the globe to participate.
Every day more of your patients and clients are consuming herbal products. Herbs and herbal supplements are a growing, multi-billion dollar industry that today consists primarily of consumers purchasing and using herbal products, often with a limited understanding of what they are buying and how to use them appropriately. Maryland University of Integrative Health’s Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Herbalism provides a foundational knowledge of herbal medicine that emphasizes issues of quality, safety, and efficacy.
Modern scientific understanding is discussed within the framework of traditional herbal wisdom to provide a truly integrated and realistic perspective on the use of herbs in a variety of healthcare models. Students learn how to identify and create quality herbal products through hands-on wild plant identification, harvesting, and making medicinal food and herbal preparations. Combining theory with practical applications, the program empowers healthcare professionals with the necessary tools to engage clients in an informed discussion of herbal supplements, understand the implications of proposed treatments, and determine the safety and efficacy of herbal options.
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Herbalism is:
- Exclusively designed for licensed and certified healthcare professionals. Please click here for complete admissions requirements.
- Delivered by internationally renowned experts and leaders in herbal medicine, health, and wellness
- Focused on the most frequently used herbal medicines and supplements in the U.S. market, and their likely interactions with conventional pharmaceuticals
- Designed to give you the capacity to have an open, informative dialogue about medicinal herbs with your patients, colleagues, and herbal experts
- Includes 12 graduate-level academic credits delivered over 8 months
- Approved for continuing education units and contact hours toward licensure requirements for select professions
- Eligible for federal financial aid
Where can you go from here?
Master of Science in Therapeutic Herbalism: The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Herbalism contains the first 12 credits of our master’s degree, allowing you to seamlessly continue your herbal education.
Master of Arts in Health and Wellness Coaching: Nine to 12 credits of the Medical Herbalism program can be applied to the Medical Herbalism area of concentration in our health and wellness coaching program.
Master of Science in Nutrition and Integrative Health: Nine to 12 credits of the Medical Herbalism program can be applied to the Herbal Medicine area of concentration in our nutrition program.